Monday, December 1, 2008

Kenya Day 1


November 22nd
I started my 31st birthday in the Amsterdam airport sitting in a retro overly priced McDonalds sipping on a fruit smoothie. Here, I did school work nearly 4,000 from my school! In the airport, I noticed and took comfort in the simplicity and cleanliness of the Netherlands. It made me resent my cluttered America. On my flight from Amsterdam I sat with a woman from Georgia who was headed on Safari in Kenya and a woman from Ottawa who was headed to Uganda. Though we were all from The US, our English dialects contrasted beautifully.

I enjoy international travel. You get free alcohol, a wide selection of movies with your own screen, and food is delivered almost every 45 minutes or so. For the most part, I slept, ate, drank, and felt a little infantile. The flight attendant would wake me up each time she had food, I would get up and eat it and go right back to bed. This lasted all 9 hours of our flight.

Arriving in Kenya was incredible. The warm air hit my face and it smelled fresh. Getting a VISA took forever, but customs didn’t even open my bag and I got swiftly through the doors. A very pleasant man named Boniface came to pick us up in a stretch Land Rover and we were on our way. Like my trip to India, we arrived at night, so there wasn’t much to see. However, as we turned to go up the hill to our Hostel, we got a flat tire. Boniface tried to get someone to come pick us up, but ended up driving us the rest of the way with the flat.

Later I learned that he had to get us to the hotel so that thieves didn’t come and take all of our stuff. Our Hostel is nice. Simple and clean. I am totally beat and not very creative right now, so I will write more tomorrow.

No comments: