Monday, December 1, 2008

Kenya Journal


Nov. 21-22

As I packed my car to leave for Kenya, a hard snow fell. I worked diligently to scrape my car and then started on my journey form winter wonderland to sunny Kenya. I drove to Philadelphia, met up with Vickie and Carl and drove to Newark. Here, we met Dorette and boarded our plane to Amsterdam. After only a few hours of sleep, I was too tired to be excited. I felt like I was just going through the motions and none of it was real. I have wanted to come to Africa for as long as I can remember. Now, at 31, I was finally doing it. Not only was I going to Africa, I was going as an Artist teacher. I am not sure it could get any closer to what I consider a dream. To be honest, I am a little sad that I will not be at home to celebrate my birthday or Thanksgiving, but I also know that I need to be willing to make sacrifices if I am going to do mission work. There are people who say they want to go to Africa or India, or somewhere else in the world to do mission work and there are people who do it. I used to be someone who just talked about it. Then, I realized that I must work hard and make sacrifices if I was actually going to do it.

No comments: